Sunday, May 6, 2012

Let's Supersize that Schnitzel

Hola!

Today was a day full of too much food!  If I could figure out how to add pictures to my blog I would show you.  Let's just put it like this - my food baby (not a real baby Mom) is at least triplets!

Helen and I decided to wander along the Danube (which is a river in a lot of old poetry and kind of made my heart go "pitter patter" for the days when I used to see writing as my future) and do some sightseeing.  However, the weather had different opinions and soon we were being rained straight into a brewery...oh what a shame.  FYI, I was wrong.  They do sell beers in half liters as well as whole liters.  We ate some scrumptious food and started to drink beer while we waited for Marcus - Helen's German boyfriend.

Marcus arrived and I got to share all the nitty gritty about Helen since we have been friends for more than 15 years.  I got a lot of joy out of seeing her squirm!  We had a long lunch with at least one too many beers and then had to rush off to dinner at a schnitzel house.

It's time to learn some important factoids about schnitzel because schnitzel is the backbone of Germany and Austria...at least based on my experience.

Q. First of all, what is schnitzel?
A. Schnitzel is a large piece of meat, about the size of the original pig it came from, pound into a disk that is similar to a UFO.  Then it is breaded and deep fried.  It is also normal served with a cheesy noodly dish.
Q. Why did you want to eat schnitzel?
A.  Well obviously I want to appear authentically German so, giant piece of meat it is.
Q.  What do you drink with schnizel?
A.  Beer...duh.  I thought we had been over this.  Beer goes with everything in Germany, and liters of it.
Q.  Does schnitzel make you a better driver?
A.  No.  Schnitzel causes a food coma that only has a comparable comparison in the States on Thanksgiving after the turkey makes everyone sleepy.
Q.  Will I continue being able to fit in my pants?
A.  No.  You are getting a new pair of pants made of schnitzel.
Q.  Is there anything that can make a huge piece of schnitzel taste better (not that it tastes bad) and less dry?
A.  No.  Germans think it is acceptable to use mayo like I use ketchup at home.  Yuck.  Also, ketchup here does not taste the same at all.
Q.  Should you eat schnitzel after you eat a whole pizza?
A.  Well, since all of the men at the restaurant refused to eat anything the entire before schnitzel I am guessing not.
Q.  Will you win anything for eating the biggest schnitzel?
A.  Pride and beer.  Beer, of which, you will not have room to drink one for at least five days.

Anyway, my day was full of schnitzel up to my eyeballs and then Helen, Marcus and I came home and watched Friends will drinking schnapps and apple juice (apparently apple juice is not just for kids here).

Tomorrow Helen and I may climb to the top of the tallest steeple in Europe.  Or, we might conserve our energy for processing the remaining schnitzel.

I love it here but I am missing Bryan and regular sized food.  Also, my own bed.  Tonight I get the couch.

Ciao!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Skylar!!! Aw wow I just got your post cards! Thank you sooo much! That was really special! I really miss you...work isn't the same at all! I read this out loud to my mum and we were both in stitches! Haha...how much did you drink before writing this? Looking forward to seeing you soon!..and eating chocolate!
    Love,
    Carissa

    ReplyDelete